Here’s an update on my progress for the 2018 Reading Challenges! Now that April has given way to May, let’s see what I accomplished this month!
My Goodreads Reading Challenge goal is 175 books, and so far I’ve completed 66/175. GR tells me I’m 8 books ahead of schedule. Woohoo! I’m feeling good about that lead!
Next, let’s check in on the Literary (&) Lacquers Reading Bingo, over in the Literary Lacquers facebook fan group. So far I’ve checked off 6/16 prompts. (If you participate, there are discounts for completion!)
- A Graphic Novel – Paper Girls Vol. 1
- A Book Written by an Author of Color – Markswoman
- A Book With a Green Cover – The Book of Life
- A Book Written by an Author From A Different Country – The Illuminae Files
- A Book With a Color in the Title – The Black Tides of Heaven (no review yet)
- A Book That’s Been on Your TBR for Over a Year – A Conjuring of Light (No review yet)
On the Book Riot Read Harder challenge, I haven’t checked much off. 6/24, still a little behind.
- A Book About Nature – Our Native Bees
- The First in a New To You YA or Middle-Grade Series – Markswoman
- A Comic Written or Illustrated by a Person of Color – Paper Girls Vol. 2
- A Sci-fi Novel With a Female Protagonist by a Female Author – The Tea Master and the Detective
- A Book With A Cover You Hate – Lustlocked
- A One Sitting Book – A Court of Frost and Starlight
I’ve made more progress for Popsugar’s Reading Challenge. 16/47 – roughly on track.
- A Book About a Villain or Antihero – Godsgrave
- A Book With An Animal in the Title – Our Native Bees
- A Book by a Female Author Who Uses a Male Pseudonym – The Silkworm
- A Book by an Author of a Different Ethnicity Than You – Markswoman
- A Book You Borrowed or Were Given as a Gift – Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance
- A Book by a Local Author – Tricks for Free
- A Book That’s Published in 2018 – Tempests & Slaughter
- A Book You Meant to Read in 2017 But Didn’t Get To – Strange Practice
- A Book By Two Authors – The Tangled Lands
- A Book with a Time of Day in the Title – An Artificial Night
- A Book with an LGBTQ+ Protagonist – In Other Lands
- A Book with a Weather Element in the Title – Daughters of the Storm (review coming soon!)
- A Book with an Animal in the Title – Sparrow Hill Road
- A Book With Characters Who Are Twins – The Diminished
- A Book With an Ugly Cover – Lustlocked
- An Allegory – Last First Snow
I am also participating in my local library’s 10 To Read challenge and made no progress this month. 3/10
- A Young Adult Book – Godsgrave
- A Book Set in a Place You’ve Never Been – Tricks for Free
- A Book About Food – Acid Trip
- A Biography
- A Banned Book
- A Book by a Native American Author (I plan to read Rebecca Roanhorse’s Trail of Lightning for this prompt!)
- A Book Recommended by KCLS Staff
- A Book in Translation
- A Book That’s Been Made Into A Movie or TV Show
I did my fourth buddy read of The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone with my blogging buddy Marzie. Check out the discussion posts of Last First Snow. Look for our reviews and discussion posts of book five, Four Roads Cross later this month!
The Hugo nominees were announced last month, and I’ve started to chip away at the reading. Voting opened today and is open through the end of July. The list of nominees is here.
Here’s what I’ve read so far:
- Best Novella: Down Among The Sticks and Bones
- Best Short Story: Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience TM
- Best Graphic Story: Bitch Planet, Vol 2: President Bitch; Monstress, Vol 2: The Blood
- Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form: Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Thor: Ragnarok; Wonderwoman
- Best Dramatic Presentation – Short Form: The Good Place, Michael’s Gambit; The Good Place, The Trolley Problem
- Best Series: InCryptid, The Memoirs of Lady Trent (minus the final two books), the first in the Raksura series by Martha Wells
- Best YA (Not A Hugo): In Other Lands
I…..still have a LOT of reading ahead of me.
In addition to all that, I am hosting an 11-book Read Along of the entire October Daye series as we prepare for book #12 Night and Silence to release in September. Over in the Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant Fans group on Facebook (which I help admin), we’re discussing one book every three weeks. We’ve made it through books 1-5, and will be tackling book 6, Ashes of Honor on May 13.
What have you been reading this month?